Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Project 2: Book Alteration/Serial Planes

Reflection Paper- Project 2
      When I approached the Serial Planes project, I was excited to experiment with what I was going to make. I did some research first on book alterations, and I was attracted to abstract objects and forms that others had built for their projects. Looking at examples from previous students had me set on the idea that I wanted to make something abstract. I was very eager to see what shapes and forms I could create using a bound book and an exacto knife.
     In doing Phase A of the Project, I chose to experiment with all sorts of methods in distorting the book. After cutting the book into pieces, I started first with curling techniques to curl the pages. This gave the pages a flowery look to them. Next, I chose to use a folding technique to create a fan-like effect on the pages. I folded them in different ways to get a range of shapes and styles for all of my pages. I also chose to cut into some of my folded shapes, to give them a more abstract feel. By doing this, I created unique patterns throughout the pages. With each piece of my bound book having been altered with a different technique, I used a hot glue gun to put the bindings back the way I wanted to come out with my final project for Phase A.
      When I approached Phase B of Project 2 I was excited to have the freedom of working with foam board. After doing some research and viewing past students work, I was immediately interested with incorporating stairs into my project. I wanted to build a more architectural based model of levels of stairs that made up a maze throughout multiple floors. I was intrigued by Maya Lin's work because not only was she an artist, she was also gifted in the architectural field, which I am very interested in.
      When I began constructing my Phase B of Project 2, I chose to do all different styles of staircases throughout each level that I was designing. This labyrinth of a structure was interesting to me because it would make viewer's eyes wander. It was neat to see where one floor connected to others and how many different ways you could approach each level. I used foam board for the entire phase, and hot glue to hold the pieces together properly.
      Overall, I enjoyed doing both phases of the Serial Plane project. I enjoyed Phase B more because of the freedom. In Phase A, we were stuck to work with a book of pages that was bound together. This binding could not be removed. With the foam board however we had more freedom to do whatever we desired to create serial planes. This freedom allowed me to create a piece that was more architectural rather than abstract. I am glad that each phase proved to be a different task, because it led me to have two completely separate ideas for what I was going to design. I truly like how both of my projects came out, and I would not change the approach I had taken if I were to do the project a second time.


Serial Planes- Book

Book Alteration

















Serial Planes- Foam Board

Research Images




My Project

Model Idea





Final Project











1 comment:

  1. Excellent documentation process, sketches and research images.

    The outcome of both phases of this project were very successful. Your approach to solved the problems presented with each material was very creative and achieved two interesting and unique pieces.

    I believe the limitation you faced in each project were also a challenge to creativity that you solved in a very lucid way. Your altered book achieved a solid sense of mass. Even with the diverse techniques you have applied along its construction, you have achieved a sense of visual unity and structural balance. On the other hand, the maze of staircase you created with foam board explores a whimsical interplay of positive and negative spaces.

    I am glad you enjoyed the projects. It is evident in the outcome. Both are visually engaging playful 3D structures.

    A

    ReplyDelete